Advising Office Information
The Government & Politics Advising office hours of operation are Monday-Friday from 9am - 4pm. Advising appointments are available via Zoom, by phone, or in person. Thirty-minute appointments can be scheduled through TerpEngage. When you schedule, please be sure to select your preferred delivery method. Appointments must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
Spring 2023 Advising Office Information (January 25th - May 19th):
Jillian is working in person on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
Gracie is working in person on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
Breana is working in person on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
For general advising questions: please send an email to gvptadvising [at] umd.edu
Note: All students who intend to change their major to GVPT or declare GVPT as a double major must e-mail (gvptadvising [at] umd.edu) or call our office (301-405-4168) to sign up for a Major Change Workshop. More information about declaring the major can be found here.
Advising Office Closures:
Monday - Wednesday, March 20-22: Closed for Spring Break
Our Advising team:
The Government & Politics Office takes a holistic approach to advising. We deliver accurate advising information to ensure timely degree completion. We serve as a resource liaison, promote experiential learning, and encourage post-graduation planning. Our office provides an accessible and welcoming environment that respects the diverse needs and backgrounds of our students.
The Government & Politics Advising Office aims to deliver a responsive and innovative high-quality advising program that facilitates student learning and development. We strive to be a model of excellence at the University of Maryland.
- Deliver accurate advising and degree information and assist with timely degree completion.
- Take a holistic approach to advising by discussing and clarifying academic, career, and life goals.
- Serve as a campus research liaison and play an active role in the advising community.
- Maintain a high level of accessibility and provide a welcoming environment for students.
- Respect the diversity of our students, including physical and learning abilities.
- Encourage student autonomy.
- Promote experiential learning opportunities and encourage post-graduate planning.
Other Advising Resources:
- College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Feller Center Advising Office
- Education Abroad Appointments
- Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy (MICA) Personal Advising Services
- Undocumented Student Resources
- Career Center Appointments
- Accessibility & Disability Services
- Counseling Center Appointments