Home  |  Program Information  |  Application  |  Faculty & Staff  |  FAQs  |  Upcoming Events  |  Contact Us



Can I take the courses out of sequence?

Please check the course sequence plans for the full-time MA track students and the 4+1 track students on the Program Information page. If that doesn't answer your question, it's best to consult with the MAIR program staff about this. 


Do the MAIR fundamental courses I take during my senior year count towards my undergraduate degree? (MAIR Combined Program Students)

Yes, they function similarly to upper-level courses.


What are the tuition rates for this program? 

For students enrolling in the MAIR 4+1 combined program, the first year, you will pay regular UMD undergraduate tuition at the rate you always have. In the second year, you'll pay UMD graduate school tuition. Not only do students get a 2-year degree in 1 extra year, but they only pay graduate student rates for the one year.

For students enrolling in the MAIR standalone program, you will pay UMD graduate school tuition for all courses. 

Information about the cost per credit and fees for MAIR can be found on the program's website at Extended Studies.


What impact does my residency status have on the tuition rate for your program, and how can I update my residency information?

Our program has a non-standard tuition rate, meaning you will be charged the same amount regardless of your residency status. To update your residency status, please contact the Residency Classification Office at resclass [at] umd.edu.


Does the program offer any scholarships? 

The program itself does not offer any scholarships at the moment. But financial assistantship supports are available across the university. For eligibility for financial assistance, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid, and if you are an international student, please also check the Office of International Students and Scholars regarding any potential funding opportunities. 


Are there ways to waive the graduate school's application fee?

Please visit this link for the fee waiver eligibility at the University of Maryland Graduate School.


When is the latest I can graduate from my undergraduate program to attend this program?

You should graduate by the end of the summer, the year you intend to start your graduate-level courses. It is paramount that you're conferred your degree for ALL majors at the time you start as a graduate student.


What are the academic expectations for the MAIR program?

Students are expected to maintain a 3.0 overall and GVPT coursework GPA. We may be able to work with students with slightly lower GPAs. Still, it's essential to understand that this program is rigorous, and your undergraduate performance can be a good indicator of grad school success.


What courses will make me more competitive?

Quantitative and IR courses are best- the quantitative courses typically recommended for GVPT majors suffice. Usually, your requirements will mean you take at least one course in the area of study.


Do I need to be an IR minor to apply for the program?

No, IR coursework does make you more competitive, but you do not need to be an IR minor.


I want to focus on a specific area within the International Relations field- is there a way to do this?

Yes, while the courses are specific, for your final project, you can create something based on your interests.


I'm in my junior year, and I want to apply for the MAIR 4+1 program. My current GPA is below 3.0. Can I still Apply? 

Yes, you can still apply for the MAIR combined program with a GPA slightly below 3.0. However, you can not be officially admitted to graduate school until the requirement is met. Your best option at this time is to use your undergraduate senior year to pull your GPA back up above the 3.0 mark while you are taking the MAIR fundamental courses in your senior year. 


As a MAIR combined program student, what will happen if I graduate earlier than May 2024?

If you graduate after the fall of 2024 semester, you will begin taking courses as a graduate student for the spring of 2025 semester.


Do the MAIR graduate-level courses taken in the senior undergraduate year count as international relations classes for the international relations concentration of the undergraduate government and politics program?

Yes, they do. 


What majors are eligible to apply for the MAIR 4+1 program?

Majors in GVPT, AAS, CCJ, ECON, GEO, PSYCH, and SOC in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences and majors in the School of Public Health and the College of Journalism are eligible to apply.


I received admission as a stand-alone applicant. What is next? 

Please visit this link that will guide you through the next steps.