Spring 2017 Commencement
Date: Sunday, May 21st 2017
Location: Xfinity Center
Tickets are required for the campus-wide ceremony and only those students who are completing all degree requirements this semester may receive tickets to attend. For detailed information regarding the Campus-Wide Commencement Ceremony and ticket distribution visit http://commencement.umd.edu .
Department of Government & Politics and ENSP Politics/Policy Ceremony
Date: Monday, May 22nd 2017
Time: 9:00am - 11:00am
Location: Reckord Armory
Tickets and Guests
Tickets are not required for the departmental ceremony and students are not required to RSVP. However, seating in the Armory is limited so we request that students keep their total number of guests to no more than six. We want to ensure that all graduates are able to have their immediate family present.
Free parking for graduates and their guests will be available in any lot or parking garage on campus. Parking closest to the Reckford Armory is available in the Regents Drive Garage. It is a 10-minute walk from the garage to the Armory and free accessible shuttles to the Armory are also available.
There are a limited number of handicapped parking spots available outside of the Armory which will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Guests will need a state issued handicapped placard to park in these spaces. There will also be a drop-off area outside of the Armory where guests can drive up to the rear (accessible) entrance of the Armory (see map) in order to drop off anyone who requires physical assistance.
Disabled guests may be admitted through the rear (accessible) entrance of the Armory. Wheelchair seating will be marked off, so guests should see a commencement volunteer (wearing nametags) or an usher (in yellow jackets) for assistance.
Disabled guests and/or families who need to avoid stairs can enter the Armory through the rear (accessible) entrance adjacent to the Main Administration Building (see map). This door opens directly onto the gym floor and once guests enter the Armory, they can sit anywhere they like. It is floor seating only, no bleachers or stairs. Wheelchair seating will be marked off so guests should see a commencement volunteer (wearing name tags) or an usher (in yellow jackets) for assistance.
Important Venue Information
There will be a bag screening for all students and guests upon entering the Armory so we ask that everyone avoid bringing bags into the Armory or limit the amount and size of bags in order to avoid delays. Parents, guests, and students cannot bring food into the Armory. Additionally, there is no place to store strollers and strollers cannot be placed in the aisles, therefore we ask that guests please refrain from bringing strollers into the facility.
Information for Graduates
- Please arrive at the Armory no later than 8:00am to check in and line up for the processional. Line-up for the processional will be in the basement of the Armory, which should be accessed by the main entrance facing Route 1. Staircases to the basement can be accessed from inside the main entrance of the Armory.
- Graduates are required to wear regalia in order to participate in both ceremonies. Regalia can be purchased from the University Book Center and is sold as a package that includes the following items: cap, gown, department hood, stole and tassel. For more information visit www.commencement.umd.edu.
- You will be standing a long time, and you will also be walking across a stage with 3,000 people watching you, so wear comfortable shoes!
- Do not bring things like book bags or purses with you. You won’t have any place to store them and regalia does not come with pockets.
- Designate a place to meet your family after the ceremony. You will be processing out of the main entrance of the Armory, so plan to meet them outside afterward.
- If you have a name that is difficult to pronounce, please contact Jillian Santos (email@example.com) prior to commencement to clarify the pronunciation.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Do I have to apply for graduation?
A: Students who will be finishing degree requirements this semester and intend to graduate need to apply for graduation. Applications for graduation were due February 9th electronically via Testudo. If you intend to graduate and have not yet submitted an application, please contact the BSOS Advising Office as soon as possible.
Q: Do I have to attend either of the commencement ceremonies?
A: Participation in the main and departmental ceremonies is encouraged, but not mandatory. If you choose not to participate in the commencement ceremonies, you will still receive your diploma.
Q: I am a double-major. Which ceremony do I attend?
A: Students can choose to attend both ceremonies, only one ceremony, or neither. It is at the discretion of the student.
Q: I am planning to graduate during the summer, can I still participate in Commencement?
A: If you plan to finish your degree during the summer of 2017 you may still be eligible to walk in the departmental commencement ceremony only. Please contact KRiffert@umd.edu for more information.
Q: Will I receive my diploma at graduation?
A: No, you will not receive your diploma at graduation. Your diploma will be sent to the diploma mailing address specified at the time the application for graduation was submitted. If a diploma mailing address was not specified, the diploma will be mailed to your permanent address.
Further questions regarding the GVPT/ENSP commencement ceremony can be sent to Kiersten Riffert at KRiffert@umd.edu.