If you have not done so already, please begin the Major Change/Addition of major process by visiting go.umd.edu/majorchange to submit your official change/addition of major request.

  • You will receive an email with detailed instructions including tasks for completing your request to add or change your major. Throughout the process you may be notified if additional actions are required.

  • The tasks will include completing a major declaration workshop and submitting a graduation plan. 

  • Once you complete all of the tasks listed in the system and your graduation plan has been approved, your major will be changed or added.

  • These requests may take up to 15 business days to process

*Students on academic probation/dismissal, student athletes and other designated student populations will be required to schedule an appointment with a BSOS College Advisor to finalize their major change or addition.

*If you are NOT a current UMD student (i.e if your first semester will be NEXT semester) and you have NOT attended orientation yet, please DO NOT submit a request to change your major through TerpEngage. Instead, you should contact Undergraduate Admissions to request your major change.

Note: If you are currently in the IR concentration and wish to switch to the regular GVPT-BA major, you will NOT need to attend a workshop or submit a new graduation plan. You will still need to submit your request through the TerpEngage major change system. You will receive an email when your request has been submitted. You do not need to take additional action.

Registering for a GVPT Major Change/Addition of Major Workshop:

You will be prompted to register for a GVPT Major Change/Addition of Major Workshop in Step 1 of the TerpEngage major change process. You must begin the major change process through TerpEngage before requesting to register for a major change workshop.

GVPT major change workshops are held both in-person and virtually. You may register for either version by emailing GVPTAdvising [at] umd.edu. We strongly encourage all students to complete an in-person workshop.

In-person major change workshops for Spring 2024 are hosted by our Peer Advisors and are offered on Wednesdays from 11-11:30AM and Thursdays from 12-12:30PM. Please email GVPTAdvising [at] umd.edu to sign up for a slot.

The online major change workshop is self-guided and takes approximately 15 minutes to complete. During the workshop, you will be given detailed information about the GVPT major requirements. Once you complete the workshop, you will be granted access to the required Change/Addition of Major form. Please note that the Change/Addition of Major form is used both for changing your major to GVPT or adding it as a double major/degree.

After completing the major change workshop, you must return to your major change task list on TerpEngage and mark Step 1 as complete in order to move forward in the major change process. You may access your TerpEngage major change task list through the link in your email you received upon submission of your major change request.

Our peer advisors are available during business hours to answer questions as you complete the workshop. You are also welcome to schedule an advising appointment with a GVPT Advisor after the completion of the workshop if you have further questions.